Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Paying Myself First

The new year is underway and I'm hard at work on my resolutions. One of my resolutions is to pay off some credit cards. But a part B or 1a is to save some money as well.

I was inspired by an email I received from Queen T. She just started an ING Direct savings account and sent me an email. If I opened an account with $250 to start I would get a $25 bonus and she would get a $10 bonus. That was just the motivation I needed. But there are several good online savings accounts with higher interest rates. Two other good options are HSBC Direct and Emigrant Direct. I also opened an account with HSBC.

I remember going to a seminar called "Pay Yourself First" and in the seminar the lecturer said to see paying myself as another bill that I have to pay every month. That way you won't miss it and you will be saving. So for now, I'm having a samll sum automatically deducted from my checking each month and put in to each account. I know it isn't a lot but it is a good start given that I wasn't saving anything before. And I can still focus on paying off some of my credit cards.

If you are serious about paying yourself first too, send me an email. I can send you an invitation to join ING Direct and you too can get a $25 bonus.

No comments: