Sunday, November 25, 2007

Giving Back

How much do you appreciate your parents? All I have is my Mom and I may cop an attitude with her every now and then but at the end of the day I would do anything for her.

I grew up in the projects but my Mom worked hard, kept a nice home and I never felt like I lived in the projects. It really is one thing to live in the projects and to feel like you are living in the projects. I never really wanted for anything. I didn't always get what I wanted but I got enough and luckily I was never a kid in to name brands and stuff so Mom didn't have to stress about saving for some Jordan's or stuff like that. (For the record, I have never owned a pair of Jordan sneakers).

So I'm grown now and what are you supposed to do when you grow up...take care of your parents. But I have had so much debt I just never felt like I was in a position to help her. I finally got my finances in order...much love to Poppa K for sharing his financial knowledge and helping me to get my debt under control. Thanks to him I was able to give my Mom the best Holiday Season ever.

I started off small...I bought her some things she wanted but didn't really need...a rice cooker, new comforter/sheet set, some gloves, a new pair of boots...and then I hit her with the BIG present. I scheduled a Home Depot window consultation. They came to the house and I bought her windows. Yes...WINDOWS. You would not believe how expensive windows are but it was necessary. And I was just happy that I was finally in a position to do so. So my Mom is having the best Holiday Season ever...she can't wait for the installation of her windows...and of course she got all teary about me spending so much money...but it's for a good cause...it's for my Mom...she sacrificed for me so it's just time I give back.

So before you buy some small token of love for your parent(s) just think about all they have done for you through the years. It's great to get them things they want but might not need. But it's an even better feeling to get them something they need but they just can't afford.

No comments: