Thursday, May 07, 2009

To Test or Not to Test

Maybe because I'm on the cusp of turning 30 but once again I'm contemplating graduate school. I've mentioned on numerous occasions that if I wasn't doing what I was doing I would be a librarian. Well maybe this is the time for me to pursue.

The problem/obstacle/hurdle is the GRE. I'm a TERRIBLE test taker and the schools I would apply to all require it. I tried a year ago to take a Kaplan prep course and that was a complete disaster. I signed up for an in person class and it kept getting canceled for lack of enrollment so they gave me a big discount and put me in online learning class. But it was hard to get through the material with guidance. So I gave up on pursuing grad school.

Now I'm looking again. NYU offers a class through their continuing education program. But do I really want to spend $760 for a course plus sacrifice my Monday nights for 7 weeks this summer? Is it really now or never for me when it comes to going to grad school or not? Maybe I should pursue a program/school where I don't have to take the GRE and my work experience will be enough?

No comments: