Friday, December 01, 2006

The Long Road to Recovery

I would like to say I'm 50% recovered but it's probably more like 33%.

I am now in rehab for both of my feet. I go to physical therapy twice a week. I also do ultrasound therapy at home once or twice a day. On one foot I'm back in a sneaker BUT it's a size 9 1/2...2 sizes bigger than normal. I wear special socks every day to help with the swelling and circulation so my doctor promises that I will be back in my 7 1/2 shoes.

I'm not really in pain it's just a feeling of discomfort. It always feels like someone is squeezing my feet and won't let go. I do have some pain in my ankles because I walk with my feet turned out to avoid walking on the parts of my feet that have been operated on, mainly the pinky toes. Walking is a real challenge. I have to think about every single step I take from what kind of surface I'm stepping on to how I position my feet, etc.

To my shock and dismay I have to have one more surgery on December 29 to remove the pins from my feet. I told my doctor thank you for ruining my New Year's Eve. He said I'll be fine and I won't even need stitches...whatever. So there goes my goal of being able to wear shoes and look cute on NYE.

I need someone to remind me why I did this and why all that I'm enduring is worth it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

No one can tell you why it's worth it but you. What did you desire to to that you couldn't do before the surgery. As soon as you do that for the first time is when you will realize that it was all worth it.

Anonymous said...

<---hunting for cute, crunk shoes for you

rekkidbraka said...

Awww... Sorry your feet aren't so happy now. But having Been There, Done That with the pins (girl, I *feel* you) and PT, I promise that with time it will get better. Hang tough.

You always cute. It ain't the shoes. :-)