Thursday, January 25, 2007

First Speed Dating Event

My new side hustle for 2007 is hosting speed dating events around Manhattan for Cupid.com.

I held my first event on Monday at this great location called Fashion 40 Lounge. There were 27 people, 14 women and 13 guys. It was a good looking group and pretty diverse although still majority white. But everyone had a really good time and the venue was happy with the money they made from the bar. I already have 3 more events booked for the coming months with Fashion 40 so I think I'm off to a great start.

I know some of you are like why in the hell would you sign up to do something like this and what kind of people speed date? Well I'll ask the last question first. Busy professionals are the people that sign up for speed dating. They are tired of the bar/club scene and they have busy and demanding careers that doesn't leave much time to find a mate and date. So with speed dating they can meet potential dates for about the same price they would spend going seeking at a bar or club. And I'm talking good looking people with really good jobs.

So why did I decide to do it? Hosting speed dating events totally fits with my personality. And anyone who read my blog when I worked for the AJC knows dating, relationships and sex is a topic I like to talk about. Helping people meet people is right up my alley.

My first year in NYC was all about adjusting and getting settled but not really about going out and dating. Now I have a very good excuse for going out and I'm getting to know a lot of owners and managers at various venues throughout the city. I'm a people person and I get to meet so many people doing this. And even though I am hosting I have gotten hit on a few times which falls in line with me wanting to date more in 2007.

Last but definitely not least is I get to have fun and make a little money on the side. When I say little I mean I'll never be able to quit my job and do this full time. This side hustle is going to help me to achieve one of my 2007 resolutions because chump change does add up.

If I wasn't an event coordinator I would have probably attended a speed dating event just for fun. I'm pretty open to trying new things. And we all know that if what you have been doing in the past has not worked then it's time to do something different.

Anyone in NYC wants to give speed dating a try, let me know...I promise to give you a very nice discount and on some occassions I might be able to get you in for free.

No comments: