Monday, October 26, 2009

To Read or Not To Read - Decision

A few days ago I posted about if audio books count towards my goal of reading 30 books this year. Thanks to Everyone who offered their opinions on the issue. I have come to a decision. Audio books will count towards the goal of 30 books BUT certain criteria has to be met.

1. The audio books have to be the unabridged versions.

2. When listening to the books I can't be engaged in any tasks that require my undivided attention. So I can wash dishes, sort laundry, fold towels, make my bed, drive/ride in my car, etc. I can't sort through papers, pay bills, check email, procrastinate on Facebook.

The thinking behind my decision was that if the audio book is the unabridged version it would have taken me about the same amount of time to read the book as it will take listening to the book. There is nothing wrong with a little multitasking while listening to the audio books. Just like I listen to music while cleaning I can listen to an audio book.

I started my first one this weekend. I'm "reading" RED AND ME: My Coach, My Lifelong Friend By Bill Russell with Alan Steinberg. I listened to 2 of the 4 CDS so I'm about half way through the 187 page book.

No comments: