Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Winter Skincare

The first sign of winter is the colder temperatures. The second sign of winter is dry skin.

In the summer I don't have to mosturize my skin as much. My face tends to be oily and my body only needs moisture help when I am sunburned and I'm trying to prevent peeling. But in the winter I notice the dryness almost immediately after stepping out of the shower.

My plan of attack for this winter is to change my soap to either a Dove bar or Dove body wash or any body wash that provides additional moisture. In the summer I will use watery lotions or baby oil. But in the winter I use Lubriderm or lotions that have shea butter or cocoa butter. I'll use face washes for oily skin in the summer. I'll switch up to face washes for normal or combination skin in the winter. I'm also trying a new product, Neosporin Lip Health Overnight Renewal Therapy, to combat chapped lips. If I do wear makeup I start with a light moisturizer followed by a liquid foundation. I also put lip conditioner on about 10-15 minutes before putting on lip gloss or lipstick.

It's important to drink water in the summer to stay hydrated and keep cool. But it's also just as important to drink plenty of water in the winter to combat the dry heat keeping our homes warm. Drinking water also helps to keep fluids loose to avoid chest conjestion if you get a cold or virus.

I'm also adding something new to my regimen....hand sanitizer. I have hand sanitizer hanging on my purse, a bottle in the car and a bottle at work. H1N1 is no joke. I'm fortunate that I don't have any kids so that cuts my exposure BUT I live in NYC and I ride the subway everyday.

How do you changed your skin care regimen in the winter? Do you stick with the same products? Are there any products you use that you would recommend to someone else?

No comments: