Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Do I Look Spanish To You?

This weekend is the Puerto Rican Pride parade. Part of me wants to go but given that I'm not fluent in Espanol I think I will skip it. I'm already mistaken for being Hispanic, even by my own people. So I don't want some cute pappi chulo rolling up on me and I can't respond.

But I just don't understand it...well I do understand at night...from a distance...I may look Hispanic. But in broad daylight I don't see the confusion. Black men will start off saying, "What's Up?" and I guess they think I must not understand English when I don't respond so they will pull out some broken spanglish. "Hola Mommie...Come Estas?" I just smile and keep it moving.

German Girl and I look very Hispanic when we are together and both having really curly hair days...but it's rare that our curly hair days coincide and that we are together. Is it really that hard to discern race?

No comments: