Sunday, June 04, 2006

My Coke Rewards

I have this thing about collecting stuff to get free or low cost air travel.

Like last November/December I would buy Wendy's Cups to get free travel on Air Tran. And it worked. If you did the math it was cheaper to buy medium sized drinks from Wendy's than to buy actual one-way tickets from Air Tran. So I bought cups from Wendy's and from E-bay and from Craig's List and I scored the maximum amount of airline tickets you could get. But when you combined that with the points I already had with Air Tran it came out to about 6 one-way tickets or 3 round trips. Unfortunately because of the issues with my tenant and my house I had to use some of those airline tickets for business rather than the intended pleasure trips (Las Vegas, Grand Bahamas). But I still have some flight credits left and hopefully I won't have to fly back to Atlanta any time soon.

So now on to my new addiction. Coke is the official drink of Atlanta. Well it is the official drink of all my jobs as well. Everyone has Coke vending machines. Well I average 3-5 bottles of Coke a week at work. And one day it hit me, I was throwing away valuable points every time I threw away one of my Coke bottle caps. So I started saving them and then I started looking on E-bay and Craig's List for people selling them. And now I'm hooked. My goal is to get 1600 points which is the equivalent of 10,000 Delta sky miles. I have a little over 15,000 Delta Skymiles so 10K would be just enough for me to get a plane ticket. The cost calculation hasn't been as clear as with Wendy's. I knew with Wendy's I was getting a deal.

But let's do some math. I need 10,000 miles or 1600 points. So far I have been averaging about $10 for every 120 points. If I keep with this average those 10,000 miles will cost me about $130. If I was to straight up buy 10K miles from Delta it would cost me $320.63. So that's a savings of $190. I'll keep y'all posted on if I hit my goal or not. I'm considering flying Delta or American Airlines to the NABJ convention so that may help me to reach my goal faster as well.

P.s. - If you are not using your coke bottle caps...give them to me, you can email me the codes...or at least think of me each time you drink a Coke ;)

2 comments:

Newy said...

here is a code for you HWKPW H9RBP 7RNTR I was just about to throw it away...do you need the top or just the code? you can email me and let me know
shenise.blake@mirant.com
AKA 2amazu from ajc Blogs

rekkidbraka said...

Ha ha ha! I *loved* your Wendy's cup collecting spree! Never fails to crack me up when friends of mine actually follow through on stuff like that b/c I'm the sort of slacker who can't do it, seeing as how I have the attention span of a tse-tse fly. :-)