Monday, September 25, 2006

In the Mood for...Cooking

I'm one of those people that when I get in a mood or set my mind to something there is no stopping me. There are days when I'm in a cleaning mood or a sleeping mood or an eating mood (watch out for those days this little person can devour large quantities of food) or a watch TV until my eyes burn mood. I have never, ever, ever gotten in to a cooking mood.

Anyone that knows me knows that on my list of least favorite activities would be cooking. You can ask my Momma and she will surely admit it is all her fault that I can't cook. So in addition to needing a date I hope to find a man that can teach me a few tricks in the kitchen...get your mind out of the gutter on this occasion I don't mean THOSE kind of tricks. Every time I cook I either cut myself, burn myself, burn the food or some combination of all three. So I tend to avoid the kitchen.

But tonight I was feeling in the mood...the mood to cook. Yes, you read that right. Last night when I got off of work I came home and was looking for something quick to eat. In my search for tuna fish I came across some seasoning packets for chili and beef stew. My first thought, I wonder if I can get my mom to make me some chili and beef stew. I read the cooking instructions and thought...maybe I could make it myself.

So today after work I decided to actually go in to the grocery store that I walk by every single day, to and from work, but never go in. I decided to get what I needed to make beef stew, chili and tacos and decide what to make when I got home.

I was hungry so I decided to make what was the easiest...tacos. But cooking would not be complete if I didn't cut or burn myself or burn the food. I burned some of the taco shells but at least I didn't burn the meat. So not a complete disaster.

I ate my tacos and decided to cut up the potatoes for the beef stew. In the process of browning the stew beef I slightly burned my wrist. What did I tell you about my cooking jinx? Anyway, I cut up way too many potatoes so I decide to use the extra potatoes to make mashed potatoes as a side for a meal later in the week.

In one Monday night, when I would normally be watching football but I could care less about the Saints or the Falcons (sorry to Saints/Falc fans), I cooked...and not just one meal but several. The tacos were fine...pretty hard to fuck that up. My first beef stew is quite tasty if I do say so myself. And my first attempt at mashed potatoes not in a box was pretty damn good too. Almost as good as my mom's and my sister's. Not quite as smooth but I ran out of milk and my arm was hurting from all the mashing.

If I happen to get in to a cooking mood again, probably not anytime this week, I have the ingredients ready for the chili.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A trick for mashed potatioes is to use the mixer. It helps get the potatoes smooth in less time and less pain LOL

Anonymous said...

Looking at you cooking and stuff...

Next time you come to see us you'll have to cook US breakfast...lol

Unknown said...

Good advice on the mashed potatoes!

As for the perceived cooking "jinx," practice gets you closer to perfection. (LOL) Keep cooking on a fairly regular basis and you'll cut, burn yourself and the food a lot less.

Way to go!

Gregory Lee said...

no meal is complete w/o tiffany's potatoes!

Bullet Proof Diva said...

that's fantastic! I bet there your inner Nigella is fighting to get out!

and umm Kitchen sex is the hotness
*so I've heard*

I miss you!