Thursday, September 28, 2006

Happy Feet

Flat feet are common...so are bunions...but after years of living with pain I'm going under the knife...TWICE...to have the problem corrected.

My feet are so small and narrow most people don't notice that they are flat or that I have a bone the size of a golf ball sticking out of each of them. I am very self-concious about my feet. I don't wear sandals or shoes that often, I prefer sneakers or clunky square toe boots. You can almost always find me in socks. I like my feet enough to get pedicures every 2/3 weeks but that is where the likeness ends.

On Saturday Oct 7 and Saturday Nov 11 I'm going to have surgery on my feet. First the left and then the right. The doctor is going to break each foot and reset the bones with titanium rods. Sounds painful, don't it? So I'm not exactly looking forward to it but I'm at a now or never point. There is never a good time to do any serious procedure but I know over the next few months my work load is going to increase so it will become harder and harder to schedule the surgery and have the recuperation time I need.

I don't really experience pain in my feet unless I have been dancing in stilletos for hours. The pain is usually in my shins, knees, hips, lower back....some times the pain even reaches my neck. Basically my entire body tries to compensate for the bone structure of my feet.

I want to be able to workout at the gym and not worry about having to limp home because of the pain. I want to take hip hop and salsa dance classes again and not have to quit because of my shin splints. I would like to dance my ass off at the club and not be in pain because of it the next day. I would even like the option of trying out to be a Nets or Knicks dancer. I'm in too much pain to train for tryouts let alone make a squad and perform at games. I just want Happy Feet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

All the time we've spent together at NABJ events over the years-- board meetings, regional conferences, conventions-- and I've never noticed any of what you describe. (LOL) Good luck with the surgeries. You'll come through with flying colors and when we see each other in Vegas next year, that's when I'll notice a difference. Because you'll be like the Energizer Bunny on every dance floor you find.

Oh, Good Evening!

Tazzee said...

Wow, two surgeries. I have flat feet too and was told it would take multiple surgeries to to correct them. That was when I lived in Atlanta, so I need to get a second opinion here. I would love to be able to take up boxing or start running but I can't because of my severely flat feet. I'll be checking in with you to see how this goes.