Monday, January 16, 2006

In search of home

First I have to thank Chartruese and Unk T for the MTA cards. They came in quite handy when my mom and I were apt hunting in NYC. In one day I rode the 2,3,4 and C. We were all over NYC from Harlem to Brooklyn.

Next I have to thank my mom for going all over New Jersey and NYC with me this past weekend in search for a new dwelling. If I wasn't searching for myself I don't think I would have the patience for all the treking I had my momma doing.

Day 1 of house hunting I found some really nice spots in Jersey City and West New York and I found some rat holes. More nice spots than rat holes. Day 2 it freaking snowed and iced over so my mom and I had to leave out extra early to deal with all the ice every where we walked. Again I found some nice spots and some rat holes but I can't say there is any place that I saw that I feel 100% about.

There was one place that was absolutely immaculate but the landlord wants $1700 or $1800 depending on which floor of the unit I pick. Please believe the place was worth every penny of the money he is asking for. In fact it is really worth more. Any realtor or broker would tell him to charge $2100-$2200. I just don't know if I can justify spending that much money on a place that I will hardly be at although I would like to have a home that I'm proud of and would be proud for anyone to see.

I just want to get that feeling I got when I got my first apartment in Atlanta. I looked at over 50 places before I found the apartment I chose and I knew it was the one for me as soon as I walked in to it. It just felt right, it felt like home. So I need to call and email some people today and say thanks but no thanks and others I need to hold on to because I don't think at the price point I'm looking at they will be snatched up right away.

3 comments:

Tazzee said...

You are so fortunate to have your mom with you in your search. $1,700 - Wow! I couldn't imagine it - but I guess that's price for living in the big city.

Mystifiedlady said...

I forgot to add I also rode the 7 and today I had to ride the 6. By year's end I'm sure I will have ridden all subway lines.

Icey said...

Happy hunting!!