Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The New Mia

I mentioned last entry that I was in a makeover phase.

First I got a new job. Moved to a new city. Found a brand new apt. Got me a man (and he's so cute). And I have been working on my external self.

I now have gel nails even though I have been a die hard about keeping my fingers and toes natural. But UV gel nails do look natural, I have them cut short and they are a lot less harsh on my nail bed than acrylic nails.

I went to a spa a few weeks ago for a facial and waxing. I hadn't had that done since my girlfriend's wedding like 2 years ago. So I have made a mental note to myself to do a better job of taking care of my skin and going to get waxed regularly so it won't hurt like hell when I go.

I went on a semi-shopping spree with my mom when I got my first paycheck. I was trying to upgrade my wardrobe to look a little more professional and a lot more NYC. But that was kind of pointless because I could literally wear pajamas to work and no one would give a dayum. I work in sports and sit in front of a computer for 8+ hours....no need to look fashionable. But I do try to look nicer than normal at the weekly staff meeting.

Actually dating Trinidad Brotha has been a huge part of the new Mia. He has helped me to get over some of my rules and to seriously rethink my logic on dating and relationships. I can't say it has been easy. But it has been a learning experience for the both of us and we are growing and learning together.

The last thing to change was my hair. I was going through a braid phase when I left Georgia. Bad idea. Those braids ripped up my hair. As my stylist put it, my ends looked like they had been walked on. So I got my hair cut and colored. I love the color... I hate the cut. So I'm trying to figure out what do with my hair.

I've already made an appointment for a spanish curly weave before Trinidad Brotha gets back. He says to not get that done before he can see this hair I keep complaining about. He also suggested that maybe I should lock my hair. Now I have been giving some thought to that for quite a few years....actually since I first started going natural five years ago. I like being able to twist my hair but when I want it straight I can straighten it. I don't know if I can make the commitment to locs. I can see myself doing that after I get married but given that marriage is like some distant pie-in-the-sky thing I don't think locs are going to happen any time soon.

As much as I work on my outside I can't say there is much for me to work on, on the inside. I love me, inside and out. But I will say, no matter how much I improve on myself my addiction for movies will never die. And my man is accepting of my one obsession/compulsion/addiction so I guess it's all good.

I'm always open to suggestion because I am by no means perfect. So if you think there is something I need to work on externally or internally, let me know.

1 comment:

2 Can Play That Game said...

keep doing your thang lil mama......also, check out my latest post...