Monday, May 15, 2006

Facebook Frenzy

Boredom is a bitch because for as long as I could I avoided the Facebook and MySpace trends. My thought was I spend enough of my life online I do not need to participate in anything that will have me online even more. But than boredom kicked in.

Working in sports my job is sporadic. There is never a steady period of work to do. It's a lot of waiting around for stories to come in and then busting ass to get them published and online quickly. And this is the cycle for my entire shift. So there is quite a bit of down time between the bursts of copy.

When you work nights you can only check your email so many times before the only thing coming in is junk mail because all your friends are asleep or out. So during one of these down times I decided to sign up for a UNC alumni account and to sign up for Facebook. So now I'm hooked. I'm constantly checking facebook, looking at other peoples profiles and photos and sending friendship requests to the various people I find.

Facebook proves that the black community at UNC is very small but very tight. It's like 2 degrees of seperation. There are some people that I didn't know other people knew. I actually think Facebook would have been handy if it existed when I was in college. But it's here now and I'm using it as a way to see what's up with some people and reconnect with others.

No comments: