Friday, September 04, 2009

At The End of the Reading Rainbow

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high
Take a look, it's in a book - Reading Rainbow.

I can go anywhere!
Friends to know and ways to grow - Reading Rainbow.

I can be anything!
Take a look, it's in a book - Reading Rainbow.

Reading Rainbow, Reading Rainbow, Reading Rainbow, Reading Rainbow!

I know a few of y'all were singing the theme song to Reading Rainbow with me. As they say, all good things must come to an end. And thus the 26 year run of the show has come to an end. I don't have any kids but I just can't imagine that when I do they won't be able to watch Reading Rainbow as I did as a child.

I remember keeping a notebook with the names of all the books that were featured on the show. That list was my reading list and anytime I went to the library I was in search of those specific books. Reading Rainbow gave me literary direction.

Luckily there is YouTube (which hopefully that will still exist when I have kids) so I can search the archives and find a few shows for them to enjoy. But for now, join me on a trip down Memory Lane and sing along with the show's theme song.

No comments: