Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Most Relaxing Vacation Ever

It's official...at 29 I'm OLD. Because only an old person would an enjoy a weekend in a cabin doing absolutely nothing. It was the best waste of time I can remember wasting in a long time.

Several months ago my girls and I started planning our annual girls trip. Every year we go on at least one trip together. I don't even remember how it came up but I suggested we rent a cabin in Asheville, NC. I went to school in North Carolina but I had never visited Asheville. All I knew about the city was that there was a UNC campus there and people liked to visit the Biltmore Estates (NOTE: we never made it to the Biltmore Estates so I will have to find my way back to Asheville).

My girls from college suggested the Cedar Creek Cabins as a good place to stay. We stayed in the Acorn cabin. It had 3 1/2 bedrooms, 1 1/2 bathrooms and a pool table. I think the most interesting feature was the stove. I'll link to a picture of it when B posts the pictures. The best part of the cabin...the cost. It is $175 per night + $45 Cleaning Fee. For 3 days and 2 nights the total cost for the cabin came to $411 (with taxes).

Although we did a lot of relaxing, reading, sleeping, eating and watching movies...we did actually leave the cabin. We went to a great spa, Sensibilities Day Spa, and the service was excellent. And coming from NYC, the price could not be beat. For a 60-minute European Facial and 60 minute massage it was $152 (plus tip). And we discovered Downtown Asheville (at the suggestion of the receptionist at the Spa). All the local businesses have maps of downtown Asheville and will point you to various places to try. We didn't get a chance to go everywhere but we did get some great homemade ice cream and my friends made personally scented lotions at Bath Junkie (they do have a location in New York City).

Will I go back to Asheville? Yes. Do I recommend Asheville for anyone looking for a relaxing, low-cost, inexpensive getaway? Yes.

Next Trip: Short Bahama Cruise Columbus Day Weekend

No comments: