Thursday, September 03, 2009

A New Moon For Wuthering Heights

I just finished reading "New Moon," book three in the Twilight Saga. The book makes several references to Wuthering Heights. I honestly don't remember reading Wuthering Heights in high school or any other time.

So as a regular user of Paperbackswap.com I searched to see if the book was available. Not only are there several copies of the books available but the Cliffs Notes are also available. And for a moment I had a flashback to high school. I don't know how many times I used Cliffs Notes to help supplement the books I was reading because I didn't fully understand what I was reading and my teachers weren't doing a good job of explaining it. Classroom discussions based on the readings for some books got so off base that the discussion was sparked by the book but not about helping to understand the book.

I'm older now and it's not like reading Wuthering Heights is a requirement I have to meet...so should I order the book, should I order the Cliffs Notes, should I order both? I could read the book but not understand what I'm reading. I could read the Cliffs Notes but as people always like to say miss out on the literary experience. I could order both and use the Cliffs Notes as a supplement, only reading the Cliffs Notes after finishing a chapter I have read in the book.

What do you think?

No comments: