Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Kickin' It With the Fam

Last night I got to spend some time with my family, particularly my teenage nieces and nephew. I don't think they realized how much this auntie loved that. I can't really remember the last time all 4 of us hang out.

One of my nieces is visiting from Virginia for the summer. The other one is like me and works ALL THE TIME. And my nephew bounces between his mom's place and my brother's place so I usually only catch him in transit. But for some reason the stars aligned last night and they were all together at my mom's house.

So me and one niece picked up the other niece from work. She came over to get her braids taken out. And my nephew was chilling in his dad's bedroom in the attic making love to the phone. I called him for some help with connecting his dad's computer to the internet. Instead of running back to the phone he stayed downstairs with us and I talked and laughed and danced (Auntie be dropping it like it's hot) and we had such a good time until 2am.

Last night is one of those nights I'll treasure. Just seeing all of them together laughing and talking and reminiscing on some of the stuff that has happened in our family...both good and bad. I have to say they have survived relatively unscathed from some of the BS that has gone on in our family. I'm just glad to see they still talk to each other cause my siblings and I barely speak.

The picture that will forever be ingrained in my mind is the 3 of them laughing so hard that they were all tearing and literally rolling on the floor of my mom's living room. That was one of those moments I wish I had a camera. My nieces will be seniors and my nephew a junior so I know last night is one of the few times they will be together like that again. *SIGH* I wish they didn't have to grow up so fast.

No comments: