Thursday, July 20, 2006

Letting the Cat Out of the Bag

Some of you may or may not know but after a little over 6 months time I am leaving New York Times Digital. My last day is Saturday July 22. I have accepted a position as a sports producer for Sports Illustrated.com and will be focusing on the NFL. I start July 31.

I'm excited and nervous at the same time. It was an extremely hard decision to leave. Walking away from the New York Times is no easy endeavor. You have to weigh all options and consider the future of your career. What it came down to was work/life balance. Since working at NYTD I don't have a life outside of work and anyone that knows me knows I can't last but so long in a situation like that. I want to go out, meet people, have fun, enjoy being single, in my twenties and living in NYC. And ultimately I want to get married, have kids...do that whole American Dream thing. My new position at SI.com will allow me to do that and to still do what I love...online journalism. It's the work/life balance my life has been lacking.

Some day down the road I may have to explain to some curious future employer why I left the New York Times after only 6 months but I plan on staying at SI.com as long as I can. To be able to be a journalist and work normal Monday-Friday 9am-6pm...it's gonna take something like Osama Bin Laden blowing up the entire Island of NYC and even then I would just transfer to the SI offices in Atlanta. The only other thing that could possibly pull me away from this new job is a serious relationship (meaning marriage) and right now I can't even get a date so the chances of a serious relationship happening anytime soon is next to nil.

Wish me luck and always keep me in your prayers. And expect to see a lot more interesting posts cause I'm going to be painting the town Carolina Blue...lol.

No comments: