Wednesday, July 19, 2006

NYC Visit

One of my friends and former co-workers came from Atlanta to visit and we had a great time. I love when people come to visit because in some ways they know more about the city than I do. They see the city through the eyes of a tourist, while as a resident we take a lot of what NYC has to offer for granted.

So I picked her up at the airport on Friday and it was my first time driving to the airport. I live a lot closer to LaGuardia than I thought. We dropped her bags and hit the subway because the subway is the best way to travel. I had to take her to Bar 89 because it was Friday and Friday is the only day of the week they serve shrimp cocktail...in addition to all the other tasty and not too pricey foods and beverages. Then we went to the Yankees game and it was a lot more exciting than I thought it would be. Our seats were high as hell but we still had a great time.

Saturday my friend wore me out. I have NEVER travelled on the subway so much in one day. We went all the way to Coney Island so she could ride the Cyclone at Astroland. She had to go on that one by herself because I have an aversion to rides where I feel like I'm going to come out of my seat. Then we took the subway to the Brooklyn Bridge and walked across to the Manhattan side. Again, as a resident, I wouldn't have even thought to walk across the bridge. We had to come home because by that point I was seriously in need of a nap. We ended the day with a trip to Little Italy for a fabulous Italian meal and the dessert spot we found really hit the spot. I will definitely be heading back there.

Sunday she was heading back to Atlanta but she still had one more spot to hit and what a great choice. As a fan of Sex and the City I was happy to try this place out as well. It's a bakery called Magnolia's and it's on Bleeker Street. It was actually much easier to get there by car only because it was a Sunday. I was even able to find a great parking space. We sat in a park across the street from the bakery, enjoyed our treats and people watched. I love people watching. All in all it was a great weekend.

I spent most of Monday recovering. I felt bad because my niece spent the night on Sunday night and I was asleep mostly while she was there. I did take her to a taping of Quite Frankly and I think she enjoyed the experience of being in the audience for a TV show.

All in all I learned a few things about the city so the next time someone comes to visit I'll have even more options of things to do.

1 comment:

Tazzee said...

taking notes on things to do in the big apple...