Thursday, August 31, 2006

My First Period

For those not interested in the female anatomy....STOP READING NOW!!! But for those interested, especially women who are on a birth control of some form, you should find this post quite interesting.

You may remember that I blogged back in April about if I was going to continue on my birth control. I had gone for my regular three month appointment to get another Deprovera shot. The doctor asked me why I was taking it if I was not dating, in a relationship or having sex. And she had a point. Was why I stopping nature's flow?

I haven't had a period in three years because three years ago an ex screwed me and mine over so badly I said I never wanted to be put in to a compromising position like that again. Of course I didn't feel comfortable telling the doctor that. So I told her I just liked not getting a period. Which was partially true.

In June I decided to skip my appointment and not get another shot and see how long it would take my body to reverse itself. I've heard it can take as long as two years so I was a little concerned. Well I must be blessed or cursed because I got my first period in three years and it took a little less than three months.

So now I need to make a doctor's appointment and decide what form of birth control I'm going to go back on. I'd rather be safe than sorry and relying on condoms alone is not going to work for me. And as a former gynecologist informed me I seem to be highly fertile. Wonderful news to my mom who wants 4 or 5 grand kids out of me. Not wonderful news to me because just because I can afford to have kids doesn't mean I'm ready to have a family of my own....just yet. Of course I have some time to decide because as I blogged earlier I'm dateless in Harlem so the odds of me having sex are pretty slim.

I hate taking pills so I probably won't go back to that. I just came off the shot so I'm not ready to go back on that. I think the once a month shot is stupid and time consuming. Who wants to have to go see their doctor every single month. I'm leaning towards the patch but when I was on it three years ago my skin was very sensitive to it so there were only 2 places on my body I could wear it AND somehow I got pregnant with twins. Not sure if that was the patch or user error. But I know no matter what form of birth control I choose it will always be paired with the use of a condom. Because it is not just about preventing pregnancy but preventing STD's as well.

To all the woman reading...all birth controls are reversible...even if you have your fallopian tubes clipped they can be reattached. The human body is an amazing thing and no matter what meds we take to reverse our natural flow it will return to normal in due time.

No comments: