Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Weekend Recap

I actually had a pretty good weekend. It turned out to be way better than I expected it to be.

Friday night I got an email from a friend/former co-worker. He was in town on assignment and wanted to hang out. I was surprised T.B. was kind enough to give him my email address. I really did appreciate that.

After work I met him at a hotel near his to hang out and then we went back to his hotel and talked for hours. It was great. We talked about Atlanta, sports, the future of journalism, etc. We talked so long we didn't even realize how late it was.

He had a rental car so he was kind enough to give me a ride back to my place. As I was getting out the car some guy opens the back passenger door, looks in and then says my bad. We crack up laughing because we seriously thought dude was about to jack us right in front of my building.

Saturday afternoon we met up for a movie...V for Vendetta...and then got something to eat at TGI Fridays before I headed to work.

Saturday night I went home and slept. I was still tired from staying up so late the night before. Actually my body is just tired...mentally, emotionally, physically tired.

Sunday I took my niece to her first Nets game and the Nets blew out the Mavericks so it wasn't as good of a game as I hoped. But at least I got to meet some UNC black alum. It was a black alumni chapter event. Unfortunately the Tar Heels loss...but we can't win them all. I'm still really proud of the team for making it this far. They were a team of freshman and personally the highlight of the season was when we beat Duke at Duke.

After the game I took my niece home and picked up my mom to bring her to my place. She came and spent the night with me. She really helped to get the majority of my unpacking done.

When I took my mom home on Monday I picked up my nephew and brought him back to my apt. He helped me to do some measuring for blinds and for shelves for my closets. And he helped me do some electrical stuff like set up my DVD players and put together some lamps. We watched a movie together and that was cool cause my nephew and I have not chilled or hung out together in years...not really since we were kids. He said he'll help me with more stuff in the coming weeks.

So it wasn't the most eventful weekend but I still really enjoyed it. Just spending time with my family and then getting a surprise visit from my friend.

Next weekend one of my friends from college will be in town for the weekend so we'll probably do lunch on Friday before I go to work. And then Saturday when I get off of work I'm headed to ATL. Unfortunately this won't be a pleasure trip. I'm going to take care of some business pertaining to my house and my car. And I need to get my stuff out of the honey comb hideout as both my sisters are relocating. But I'm still looking forward to the trip.

Road trips always help me to clear my mind and to get things in perspective. It's just me, the car, the highway and my CD's. To be alone with my own thoughts...not sure if that will be a good thing or a bad thing...but I'll be sure to have my paper and pad ready.

No comments: