Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Dude, I Killed My Car

My car is a 1997 Mazda 626LX and I have had it for seven years. She has almost 186K miles. I think I have finally killed her.

I thought when I left Philly for ATL about three years ago that my car would never see the north again or do another long road trip. Well three years later I drove her back to NYC. But in an effort to maintain my GA residency I drove her back to ATL. Well I think these road trips have finally killed her.

First, on the trip to NYC at some point the engine cap came off and there was oil all over the inside of the car that I still have yet to get cleaned. My mom was able to get me a new cap.

Then on the trip to ATL the cruise control went out during the last two hours of the ride. Do you know how hard it is to drive when you are tired and pay attention to your speed? The person who invented cruise control must have had people like me in mind who are determined to drive without stopping, except for gas, on long distance trips and who drive on little to no sleep.

So I don't know what to do. Should I get the cruise control fixed? Should I get a new car? I'm tempted to buy another vehicle if all the car companies do that employee pricing program this summer. But then again, I really don't want a car payment. I'm seriously considering going to grad school (that's another blog topic for another day) and a car payment is not in the plan. But the car is not worth more than $1500 so should I really invest any money in to it to get it fixed? I'm also tempted to get rid of the car...just sell it for parts.

The car and I have been through so much. The high mileage and years of ownership tells many stories...my stories. Parking her up here is a pain in the butt but she's my get-around car when I'm in NJ. I'm so torn because I also have an emotional attachment to the car. But I think this was the trip that finally killed her :(

1 comment:

Newy said...

MIA weigh the costs...cause she is 7 years old and after you fix the cruise control...what's next? I finally had to stop putting duct tape on my baby after I realized something was ALWAYS breaking :(