Wednesday, April 05, 2006

To Be an Intern... Again

Remember the good old days of interning at companies we thought we wanted to work at, utilizing skills we had picked up in college and gaining some new ones. Well I am interning...again.

I got an internship at a location I care not to disclose because I haven't exactly told the powers that be that I am in fact interning. I don't want them to think I'm trying to leave...because I'm not. I just want to do something different and get exposure to something else.

What I can tell you about the internship is that it's about 20 hours a week at a magazine and it gives me the opportunity to do research, writing, editing and fact checking. I wanted to do this internship to break up the monotony of my regular job and to get to use and fine tune some skills I already have. This is also giving me exposure to how magazines work. I have always interned at newspapers and their websites so it's nice to see the inner workings of a magazine. Already I noticed that the atmosphere is a lot more laid back except on deadline but deadlines are not every day like they are in newspapers.

My boss is the coolest probably because she is only a few years older than me. They don't treat me like an intern probably because I am a non-traditional intern. I get my own cublicle that is bigger than my desk at the other job. I don't have to share with anyone. They gave me a power book for when I'm out of the office doing research. I have a brand new IMac G5 at my desk. First day they had supplies ready for me and ordered whatever I needed. I have access to a gym that is in the building and my other job does not have a gym nor are they putting a gym in our new building. And best of all I get to spend the majority of my working hours for them at the library. The nerd in me is jumping up and down for joy. It's sad that I like my internship so much more than my regular job but again I think it's largely due to the fact that this is a 180 from what I do day in and day out.

They always taught us in school that the best way to learn and to practice your skills was to intern. So interning is exactly what I'm doing...again.

1 comment:

Bullet Proof Diva said...

you are truly unstoppable. it's quite inspiring. Do your thing girl. I am taking notes!