Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Fire me, re-hire me

What would you do if your employer decided to fire everyone and in order to get your job back or another position within the company you had to re-apply?

I know this sounds like a crazy concept but it is what a newspaper owner did the last time he bought some newspapers and there is a thought he may use that method again if he buys some more newspapers.

I actually like the idea. Why? Because people become too complacent in their positions. Especially if they hit a cushy position and are no longer trying to advance. I think it would be an opportunity to get rid of dead weight and to get skilled people in to the right positions.

Every place I have worked at I can think of how I would restructure the department based on the knowledge and skill sets of the people I worked with as well as restructuring positions. Like if a person is good at coding and working with databases they don't need to be a producer dealing with the daily copy. Or if a person has an expertise in video and audio you allow them to specialize in those areas.

I guess I'm down with the method of fire me, re-hire me because I know I'm overqualified for my job so I would no problem being hired back. If anything I could easily get a promotion.

But you have to admit that the fire me, re-hire me concept is innovative and should make people reassess their skills and where they are in terms of their careers.

3 comments:

Newy said...

I like the concept...You are right cause some people do get complacent....they get content with the 3% raise per year; they cruise through their responsibilities and darn near have to die to get them to give up the job LOL

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

I hope not we already loosing jobs left and right

rekkidbraka said...

Lovin' the new foto of you, girl! NYC's being good to you. :-)