Friday, April 07, 2006

Grad School Dilemma

I'm seriously considering going to grad school...again.

Back in 2001 when I was a senior at UNC-Chapel Hill I applied to grad school because the job market was so bad at the time I thought if all else fails I could go to grad school. Luckily I got a one year internship that turned in to a full time job three months in to my internship. But I did get in to Northwestern for the New Media Master's program and in to UNC for the Master's in Library and Information Science.

I again considered going to grad school around 2004/2005. But I thought I wanted to pursue a Master's in African-American Studies so I could have a degree in something I'm passionate about as well as be able to teach. I could totally see myself teaching a Blacks in Film class or the portrayal of journalism and journalists through film and TV. But I gave that up because I bought a house and there weren't any good programs near me in Atlanta or quality online programs for a degree of that nature.

So here it is, 2006, and I'm SERIOUSLY, like more seriously than ever before considering grad school. I found a great accredited school that has an online master's program in a degree I want. So on Saturday morning I'm going to drive down to Philadelphia (one of my homes away from home) to go to an open house at Drexel University for the Master's in Library and Information Science online degree program.

When I get out of journalism, notice I said when cause I don't plan on doing this forever, I want a solid plan B. I think this particular master's would give me that solid plan B. I wouldn't totally throw away what I have learned from my bachelor's in multimedia journalism. This degree would allow me to incorporate the multimedia skills I have and hopefully take it to the next level or another, different level.

Ten years from now I could see myself working at a library teaching computer courses on everything from how to use Word to how to build a web page. I could see myself designing, maintaining and updating databases. As more and more newspapers are moving to make their websites the standard archive I could even see myself still working at newspapers just not on this side of the fence.

I took the GRE back in 2002 and I think the scores last 5 years so it feels like now or never for me. Because if I don't pursue a higher degree now I probably won't take the GRE again to do it at some point down the road. Plus now is an ideal time. I'm single, no boyfriend or husband and no kids. So the only demands on my time are the demands I create.

I know several of y'all are in grad school both the classroom version and the online version. What has been your experience? What made you decide to pursue a higher degree? What do you plan on doing with your degree? Any advice for me or someone like me who is considering going back to school?

4 comments:

rekkidbraka said...

You've got to look out for yourself, hon. I say if this is something you really believe you can commit to, then go for it now while you feel you have the chance. I support you, whatever you decide. :-)

Tazzee said...

After reading your post, I don't understand the dilemma. You know what you want to do, what it takes to get it done - so just do it!

I'm excited for you - also, what are you going to be studying?

Bullet Proof Diva said...

well I am finishing up online format and I have to say it was the best option for me, because I didn't want to be broke as hell with no full time gig. I happened to have a job that had A LOT of down time though,so that really worked for me.

Either way, I would have found a way to make it work. I think you hustle so hard, just with anything you focus on, so you are going to ROCK either way. I am praying for you!!

now i gotta go find a Ph.D program because I don't know how many brain cells I will have working after May. (giggleP

Mystifiedlady said...

Correction...I thought I took the GRE in May of 2002...well in unpacking on Sunday I found my GRE scores and I took the GRE in December of 2001 so I have to apply to grad school this year or else I will have to take the GRE again.

I'm going for a Master's in Library and Information Science.