Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Doctor's Orders

I have been going to a chiropractor for over a year. I have scoliosis so I will probably need to have adjustments for the rest of my life. I don't mind that. I always feel good after an adjustment.

Every 2 months my doctor re-evaluates my progress. She gave a surprising recommendation on my last re-evaluation. "You might want to consider taking up yoga." I was surprised that a medical doctor would recommend an alternative therapy. I agree with her that I have a very hard time relaxing and maybe Yoga is the way to go.

I'm a little skeptical because I took a yoga class back in college and the teacher wanted me to "feel the space between my toes." Um...yeah...no...to feel the space between my toes I'd have to touch my toes physical, not in my mind. And there were some days I would fall asleep in the yoga class, not because it was so relaxing but because it was so boring. So outside of this class my only other experience with Yoga is my Wii fit.

So for the next two weeks I'll be researching gyms. I'm leaning towards joining Crunch. I was a member of Crunch when I lived in Atlanta. I went to the New York Sports Club that one of my girlfriends attends this weekend. I took an Urban Rebounding and then an Abdominals class.

Why Crunch? They are the only gym that offers AntiGravity Yoga which is highly recommended for people like myself with back/neck issues.

Are any of you in to Yoga? Are you a member of a gym or a yoga studio? What exercise regimen works for you?

No comments: