Friday, March 27, 2009

Spring Cleaning Your Wallet

Discover card did a personal finance series in partnership with Real Simple magazine. So through the course of the year I will be highlighting some of the lessons shared in the series.

Today's topic: Spring Cleaning Your Wallet

The less you carry the easier it is to keep your wallet clean. It's also less to worry about getting lost or stolen. Empty the contents out on the table and try sticking to this wallet diet (that Discover suggests):
- Driver's License/Photo ID
- Primary Credit Card
- ATM Card
- Health Insurance Card
- Prescription Card
- Cash
One thing I would add to this list (because I live in NY), my Metro Card.

I actually have a wallet that I carry every day and I have a wallet that I keep at home. The wallet I keep at home has all my other credit cards, store charge cards, and membership/rewards cards. I also have a separate case for my business cards. They got dirty when I kept them in my every day wallet so it's worth it to carry something extra to maintain professionalism. I don't carry photos in my wallet. I guess if I had kids maybe I would. But then again I would just whip out my phone cause I'm sure I would have some photos stored in my phone.

Does your wallet need a diet? What would you add/remove from the list Discover suggested?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To add to what you posted here, it's also a good idea to make a copy of all the cards in your wallet in case it's stolen/lost, you'll have the info.