Thursday, March 26, 2009

We All Get A Raise

One week from today we will all be getting a raise.

The centerpiece of the Economic Recovery Plan is President Obama’s “Making Work Pay” income tax credit of up to $400 for individuals and $800 for couples in 2009 and 2010. The money will be delivered through paychecks as a reduction in Social Security withholdings, and is intended to bolster consumer spending by giving a small lift to household pocketbooks. So in your next paycheck look to find about $8 to $16 additional dollars. Officials hope you will spend it and not save it.

I know $8 or even $16 does not sound like a lot so in support of President Obama trying to do something to stimulate this economy listed below is my list of 10 things I could spend (not save) $16 on.

1. With gas at about $1.75 in my area I could buy 1/2 to 3/4 of a tank of gas

2. Get a pedicure/manicure

3. Buy lunch 2 days out of the week

4. Go to the movies

5. Rent about 3 DVD's from Blockbuster

6. Take a cab home from work

7. Buy a book

8. Buy the newspaper every day for a week

9. Buy a bottle of wine

10. Buy a tall chai tea latte from Starbucks, 5 days a week

Notice everything I listed in my list of 10 in some small way does stimulate the economy. I'm sure a newspaper would love if I would buy a newspaper every day. Or the movie industry would thank me if I went to the movies. Maybe one less bookstore would have to close if I bought another book.

Don't get me wrong. I know that $16 doesn't go as far as it used it. But I just think, at least for myself, saving the $16 won't be more beneficial to me than spending it.

What could or will you do with the extra money?

No comments: