Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Goals and Challenges

I know some of y'all are saying to yourself why is she always setting some goal for herself or trying another challenge? And why does she have multiple goals/challenges going on at the same time, how does she keep track?

To most people it would probably get overwhelming but it is one of my strongest character traits. I ALWAYS have to be doing something which is why I have a very hard time relaxing. I can't just watch a movie. I have to watch a movie, be on the computer, talking on IM, folding laundry, etc., etc. I've always been the type to try and cram as much in to my day as humanly/physically possible.

But specifically about all the goals and challenges...I love to challenge myself and every day I want to improve. I always have to be striving towards something. There's just this feeling that I get as I get closer and closer to my goal. And I can't even describe the feeling of when I actually achieve a goal. Problem is I probably don't take the time to savor the achievement enough before setting up another obstacle/hurdle for myself.

For example, this year I set a goal to read at least 30 books. And every time I finish a book and add it to my list I'm ready to start reading another one. I should probably take a break. Maybe reflect on what I read before jumping right in to the next book. But I'm just so driven to meet that goal because I didn't meet it last year and I don't take too kindly to failure even small ones. I probably take the small failures harder because they should have been easier to achieve and for whatever reason I didn't achieve it.

Also I don't set up goals/challenges just for the sake of having a goal/challenge. Each thing I do is intended to benefit me in some way. Forcing myself to read 30 books in a year might sound like torture to some but to me it's actually forcing me to relax and focus. When I'm reading a book I cannot do 10 other things. I can't read and watch tv, listen to music, sort laundry, wash dishes, etc. I literally have to take the time to sit down, focus and read a book. So while I'm reading I'm also forcing myself to stop and relax because as y'all know I'm like the Energizer bunny and I'll keep going until I physically drop.

Do you set up goals and challenges for yourself? How much effort do you put in to achieving them? Do they give you a mental or emotional high?

No comments: