Friday, March 20, 2009

Movie Maven

I talk about finances so much I'm sure y'all are probably sick of it. So it's Friday and I decided it's time for a lighter topic. Movies. Everyone knows I'm a movieaholic yet lately I haven't talked about any of the recent movies I have seen. So here's my brief summary/review of recent flicks I have seen in theaters or on DVD.

1. Watchmen
I wasn't familiar with the graphic novel before seeing this movie. I was a little apprehensive about the over 2 hour running time. But I actually liked this movie a lot. I liked the back stories of the characters. I liked the overall premise/point of the story. I thought the cinematography was great. Overall this is a movie I would recommend to someone whether they are familiar with the graphic novel or not.

2. Madea Goes To Jail
I'm all for supporting black films, especially Tyler Perry, BUT I'm tired of the same old story lines. And the movie is only about 1 hour and 50 minutes but after the first hour I was tired. The movie was not as funny as I expected, wanted and in some ways needed it to be. But given the economic climate our expectations for laughter are higher. And as I pointed out to my sister Tyler is obsessed with weddings. I won't give the story away but this one you can wait for DVD to watch.

3. He's Just Not That Into You
I LOVED the book so of course I LOVED the movie. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD because I want a copy of it. If you haven't read the book, you should, but it's not necessary in order to enjoy the movie. If you have seen the movie and still haven't read the book, read it. You will identify with the movie because you will see yourself and people you know portrayed in the movie. I think there is something everyone, men and women, can take away from the movie.

4. W
George W. Bush is an idiot, we knew that, the movie just showed it. If you were somehow oblivious to the last 8 years it's worth it to see. But no need to make it #1 on your Netflix queue.

5. Vicky Christina Barcelona
I'm not usually a fan of Woody Allen films but he has a couple that I really do like and this one can be added to that short list. It's worth the rental.

6. The Secret
I just finished reading the book so I wanted to see the movie. The movie is really a summary of the book so for me it served to reinforce what I had read. I would recommend reading the book before watching the movie.

7. Flash of Genius
This was a typical David and Goliath story and it was based on a true story. In this case the inventor of the intermittent windshield wipers going up against the big bad car industry. This was an okay movie. Again, worth watching but not a must see, don't miss.

8. Changeling
The first time I saw this movie it was around Christmas on the internet and I wasn't really feeling it. This is also a movie based on a true story. When I watched it a second time I still wasn't moved by it. This, like Flash of Genius, is about someone sticking to their convictions. And there is something to be said about that but there are so many movies with that premise that I'm not strongly recommending this movie but if it comes up on your Netflix list you won't be disappointed.

9. Defiance
Someone at work recommended this movie. And yet again it's a movie based on a true story. And also a David vs Goliath story line. One thing I have to commend Jewish people for doing is getting their story out. They do not let anyone forget about the Holocaust. There are still people like Iran President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that thinks that Holocaust didn't happen but we all know he only believes what is in his best interest.

Have you seen any good movies lately? Any flicks worth watching/renting?

No comments: