Monday, March 02, 2009

Eating Myself Out of House and Home

It's a special month. It's my birthday month. The month of March can't start/happen without my birthday on the first day of the month. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!

As I said on Friday this is "no eating out" month. I'm not going to spend money at restaurants unless it is other folks taking me out to eat. So by default I have also designated this "eat myself out of house and home" month.

I know you are like what the hell is "eat myself out of house and home month." Well in preparation for no eating out month I looked through my cabinets, refrigerator and freezer to see what I needed to stock up on so I would have plenty of food at home and I discovered I ALREADY have plenty of food at home.

My freezer is so full of food I can't fit much more. I have chicken, beef, steaks, fish, ham and plenty of frozen vegetables. And my cupboards are over stocked as well. I have spaghetti and spaghetti sause, taco dinner kit, cream of mushroom soup for stews, yellow rice and white rice. So it only makes sense to utilize what I have at home. I needed to get a few of the basics (egg, milk, bread, cheese). But I think I need to give this month another name....Cooking with Tiff month. I can't eat out so I have no choice but to cook in order to eat.

One of my biggest supporters, Poppa K, sent me a bunch of recipes, seasonings and sauces in preparation for all the cooking I'm going to need to do. He said he was going to try and help me to do this challenge but he, like others, doesn't 100% believe I can go a month without going out to eat. He cited my crazy schedule and how much I tend to eat as being two big barriers to this challenge. But then he said he has seen me in action and anything I really set my mind to do I can accomplish.

Have you ever looked in your cabinets, refrigerator and fridge and decided to not go grocery shopping until you ate more of what was in your home? How much do you think you would save if you cooked at home more versus going out to eat? Any suggestions of recipes I should try with some of the ingredients I have at home?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I was going to try not to eat out this month myself, but I found myself at Wendy's getting lunch on Thursday. Time to try again....