Friday, June 12, 2009

Alter Your Summer Plans

The economy has taken a toll on my travel plans. I'm in prepare-for-the-worse mode so I had to re-evaluate the trips I had planned or thought about taking.

Memorial Day I was thinking about going to Miami or Atlantic City. Neither happened and I enjoyed just kicking it in NYC.

Fourth of July I was originally going to go to New Orleans for Essencefest. But it looks like I'm going to stay in NYC. I can't remember the last time I was in NYC for the 4th. To mark the 350th Anniversary of the Henry Hudson voyage the Macy's fireworks will be on the Hudson River. So I think a few friends are going to stake a spot at Riverside Park for the day and watch the fireworks. I'm looking forward to laying on a blanket, laughing and talking with friends, maybe reading a magazine or two and just relaxing.

August will still be a busy travel month. I'm going to Tampa for the NABJ convention. I'm going to go to Boston for a weekend to see the Yankees take on the Red Sox. I have never been to Fenway. The end of August I have a girl's trip planned for Asheville, NC. (If any of my Carolina girls are interested in coming hit me up offline.)

October I'm going on a cruise Columbus Day weekend and December will be my BIG trip. I'm going to Costa Rica with my best friend.

I know, I know, you are going to say that's still a lot of travel but for me that's a lot less travel than I am used too. I'm used to go some place every single month. But when I think about the economy and look at my personal goals it's best that I curb my travel, even if it is just a little bit.

Has anyone else had to alter their summer travel plans?

No comments: