Friday, June 19, 2009

Not Just Another Father's Day

As most of you know Father's Day holds little meaning for me. Not because I don't love my Father but he has been dead for 23 years. Over the years my Mom would encourage me to get cards for the male influences in my life at Father's Day. But it's not the same as when it's your own Dad.

I have been blessed to have a few good father figures in my life. The other day I went to Hallmark and they had a new category "Like A Father." So I found an appropriate card and sent it to the current "Like A Father," figure in my life.

But this Father's Day is different for me. The stars, moon and calendar have aligned in such a way that Father's Day is also my Father's birthday. If he had lived he would have turned 60 on Father's Day.

A few weeks ago my brother said that our Mom's birthday was his birthday. And I said why? He said, because if she wasn't born we wouldn't be here so it's our day too. That's an interesting concept. My Father's birthday is also my birthday.

If I still lived in Atlanta I would have made the 2.5 hour drive to Tifton, GA. That is where he is buried. But logistics as they are I can't do that. I feel like I should do something but I don't know what to do. Maybe I'll call my father's brother but it's probably a little strange to do that given that I am estranged from his family.

To those that still have your Dads, whether the relationship is good, bad or indifferent, give them a call...send them a text...cause whether they are active or not in your life, you wouldn't be here if it wasn't for them.

No comments: