Monday, June 22, 2009

MySpace Layoffs

MySpace has been a social media juggernaut. Notice I'm talking in the past tense. In the last year Facebook has surpassed MySpace. Sadly this means there will be layoffs at MySpace.

"Beverly Hills-based Myspace confirmed today that it will lay off about 30% of its workforce, which is approximately 425 employees. " according to Mediabistro LA Fishbowl blog Read what the CEO said in his memo about it...a not to be missed quote.

Anyone that reads my blog/Facebook notes knows that I'm working on developing a class about Social Media. I mention MySpace in the course but I don't go in to detail of how to use it like I do for Facebook. I don't think MySpace is not a viable social media platform for professional networking. I have a MySpace page that has nothing on it and the only reason why I joined was so I could look at friends photos. But the majority of my friends post their pictures on Facebook or Flickr so I don't remember the last time I logged in to MySpace.

I hate for anyone to lose their jobs but MySpace is headed on the path to extinction.

Do you have a MySpace profile? Do you still check MySpace? Do you use Facebook or MySpace more? Do you know anyone who is still dedicated to MySpace?

No comments: