Thursday, June 25, 2009

TV That Made Me Blush

I kept hearing about this show "The Secret Life of the American Teenager." I had never seen it before because I didn't have ABC Family channel. But Time Warner was nice enough to give me all these channels I didn't have before when I agreed to a two year commitment.

So while I was waiting for the "Important Announcement" on Jon & Kate Plus 8 on TLC I decided to watch an episode (or two). I thought ABC Family would be a cross between the Disney channel and Nickelodeon. But I'm almost 30 with no children and I didn't feel completely comfortable watching the show. I almost wish I had a DVR so I could have counted how many times the teenage characters in the show said the word "sex." And the way the adults/parents interacted and talked to the teenagers was more blunt than I expected for a TV show on ABC Family. I guess I should have paid attention to the slogan for the channel, "A New Kind of Family."

Maybe ABC Family is a reflection of the changing times. Maybe I would have appreciated a channel like ABC Family that offered tweener programming with more mature topics when I was that age. But again I'm not a parent yet I don't think I could sit down with my 13 year old and watch an episode of the show.

Have any of you ever watched ABC Family? The TV Show "The Secret Life of the American Teenager?" Am I more old-fashioned than I thought?

2 comments:

Lo said...

Hi! Long time no speak. Anyway, yes I've watched the show but I generally don't watch the channel. Before watchign the show I thought the channel was a light fluffy...well, family channel.
And I'm not saying that it isn't But I think that the writers of this show are trying to tackle the issue of teenage pregnancy and are utterly unprepared. That's all the show focuses on, thus the word 'sex' being uttered 127 times per episode.
I watch it for the sake of humor. Last week Grace, the virgi, decided to have sex with her boyfriend against the wishes of her father. Her father dies in a plane crash and she thinks she killed him. She says to her mom, "I can't go to the funeral and face all those people in the church. Cus I had sex, really good sex. I liked having sex. And now god is punishing me for having sex, cus dad didn't want me to have sex. So for having sex, God took away my father! I killed him by having really great sex!"
Really Grace?

Mystifiedlady said...

My thoughts EXACTLY!!! It was just way over the top. That scene should have won an award for use of a single word as many times as possible in a conversation.