Thursday, June 18, 2009

Whose Line Is It Anyway?

Lately I have been watching a lot of old movies. I'm talking black and white classic movies. And I'm amazed at how some of the best lines in modern movies and TV shows pull from the classics.

In the finale of Army Wives, Season 2 a female character kisses a male character. Male character says, "What are you doing?" Female character responds, "Well, If you don't know I must be doing it wrong." And kisses him again. I thought that was a great line.

Two days later I'm watching "Born Yesterday," a movie made in the 1950's and low and behold similar scene, same exact lines. Only difference was this time the male character kisses the female.

Is anything original anymore? We already know that music gets recycled thanks to sampling but what people from our generation watch movies from the 1930's, 1940's, 1950's to really be able to catch when an already used famous line is being used again.

I guess it just goes to show that if something is really good, it's probably worth repeating.

No comments: