Thursday, February 12, 2009

Credit Score No More

I know y'all are probably getting tired of all my blogs about personal finance. But I'm doing it for y'all as well as myself. There is just all kinds of stuff going on that we may not be aware of.

I just read in the New York Times that after February 14th you will not be able to see your Experian credit score. NOTE: I said you won't be able to SEE your score I didn't say the score was going away.

Basically, to overly summarize and simplify the New York Times article, Experian is in a legal battle with Fair Isaac, also know as myFICO.com. So after February 14th you will not be able to view your Experian FICO score. BUT if you go and apply for a loan or a credit card that determination may be made based upon a score YOU can't even see. The last time I got my credit score the Experian score was the lowest, Equifax the highest and TransUnion was right in the middle. It's like a teacher giving you a grade but never telling you the grade you got. The grade could be an F and you would never know it or be able to fix it or change it because you don't know it's an F.

Experian says you can still get your credit report and check for errors and correct errors BUT you just won't be able to know what score they are giving you. How is that right? How is that even fair? If I apply for any loan or credit card can I request that they use a particular reporting agency? Probably not.

So what are you going to do? Are you going to order your credit score before 2/14 so you can get all 3 scores for what might be the last time? Is it possible to tell a creditor which credit reporting agency to use?

No comments: