Monday, February 02, 2009

No Spend Week

Remember when I blogged about Suze Orman's challenge in her latest book. Well I started my "no spend" week yesterday. So from February 1 - February 7 I will not spend any money.

My Metro card expires during this week so I bought the next 30 day pass in advance of my no spend week. I have plenty of food so I won't need to go out to eat or go to the grocery store. I also spent yesterday cooking food for the week. So it's also bring lunch to work week. No need to buy any plane tickets, my next 2 trips are already paid for. Nothing I need to buy in terms of clothes or anything else. The gas tank is full and I don't really plan on driving anywhere.

The one thing I'm not sure about, exactly how much will I be saving by not spending this week? As I stated in the blog about the Suze Orman challenge, I have plenty of days where I don't spend. Two days in a row here, 3 days in a row there, I'm not tempted nor do I need to spend money on a daily basis.

Any estimates on what you think I might save? Anyone want to join me in not spending this week? Or do you have a week set where you vow not to spend? How much do you think you would save if you took one week off from spending?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog...I informally started with you Sunday. After reading your previous blogs about financial health I analyzed my spending and saw that I spent 608.92 eating out last month. SO...I spent Sunday cooking food for the week and put 10.00 in my purse just because. I haven't eaten out but I did stop by the store to pick up dish detergent, foil and oranges which totaled about 6.00. Its Tuesday and I have 4.00 which has to be a record for me! I have to attend a dinner out on Saturday BUT I vow to take my lunch everyday and refrain from ALL fast food every other day of this week...I set a 30.00 budget for the Saturday dinner that includes tip, dinner and dessert...When I meet my goal this will be the least amount I have spent on dining for a week in a very long time...Wish me luck! Will report back Sunday!

Mystifiedlady said...

WOW! You are better than me. I don't even know where to begin to calculate how much I spend a month on eating out. I would literally have to do a spending journal for a month (which I am contemplating doing for the month of March).

I won't even carry cash with me, for this week. I took any cash I had (which is never a lot b/c I always use my debit card) and I set it on the kitchen table and there it will stay through the end of this week.

Good luck and stick with it. If you need any encouragement, you know where to find me.