Thursday, February 19, 2009

Goodwill

Volunteering has something that has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My family never had a lot of money but we had ourselves and our time to donate. I was always taught to help others because you never know when you might be the person needing help.

But as you get older the one thing you have less and less of is time. It's a good year if I'm able to participate in one or two volunteer projects. So now I try to put my money towards causes that I believe in. I don't have a lot of money to donate but I have even less time to donate.

I am getting ready for tax time and I went through my folder of charitable contributions and I didn't realize how much I have given to Goodwill. I'm talking over 10 garbage size bags of clothes and shoes. I remember how good it felt to be able to purge my closets and drawers. I live in NYC so I don't have enough space to hold on to everything. But I felt even better thinking about the clothes that were too big for me or that I never wore that someone else could get use out of. And the best part, all charitable contributions are tax deductible so you are helping yourself as you are helping others.

When was the last time you shared a little good will towards others or gave to Goodwill?

No comments: