Monday, February 09, 2009

No Spend Week Results

I was trying to figure out how much I saved from not spending last week. But that's a lot harder than it sounds.

If I was a normal New Yorker this is how much a typical New Yorker spends in a week.

Cup of Coffee every morning - $10-20 a week
Lunch - $25-50 a week
Dinner - $50-100 a week
Drinks/Night(s) out - $100 a week
Misc. (newspaper, gum, manicure, pedicure, haircut, etc) - $100
So based on these estimates I think New Yorkers spend about $285 to $370 a week.

But I'm not the average New Yorker...I don't drink coffee. I HATE coffee. So I might drink some tea but I get that free at work. Most days I don't eat lunch. I know that's probably not good but I get so busy at work that sometimes I just forget to eat or I don't have time to go and grab a bite. Dinner is probably an expense I saved on although I don't think much. A meal for me is chicken and lamb over rice from the cart on the street for $5 and that might last me for 2 meals or a slice of pizza and a jamba juice. So if I spend $50 a week on dinner that would be a lot. Now if I go out for drinks or dinner that would be about $100-200 a week. And I agree on the Misc. amount.

So based on that I think I might have saved $250 by not spending for a week. But did I really save or am I just going to spend it later? Like instead of getting my hair done this week I'm getting it done next week. But either way I think Suze Orman would be proud of me. Her challenge was just to not spend for a day but I went a week without spending.

Did anyone else try the No Spend challenge?

No comments: