Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Season of Sacrifice

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday, the first day of Lent and the beginning of the Easter season. In Lent, it's traditional to give up something that we do a lot of and that we find pleasure in. This 'giving up' is done :
* as a discipline for learning self-control, to free our minds from the chase after material things,
* to identify with Christ's sufferings, and remember what the true pleasures are for followers of Christ,
* as an act of sorrow over our wrongdoings.

The most common thing is to fast for Lent. But if giving up food isn't much of a task for you, choose something else that you have to make an effort to give up. For many people, that means 40 days without television, gambling, shopping, etc.

I thought about giving up alcohol but my birthday falls during Lent and I hope someone(s) will buy me a drank. I think thought maybe I should give up wine. Last few months I have been drinking quite a bit of wine so I could do for a 40 day break. I considered giving up soda. But I already drink a lot less now that I'm over my Coca Cola addiction. So not sure if that would count as cheating.

I contemplated giving up cursing but I know if I didn't verbally curse I would be cursing in my head. So isn't cursing in my thoughts a violation? Next on the list was sex but then I had to remind myself that you have to give up something that you do a lot and find pleasure in. I'm not getting enough sex to give it up. Sad but true.

I could give up TV BUT only if I had a DVR to record the 40 days of TV I would be missing. Next on my list of maybe was DVD's...put my netflix membership on hold for 40 days and avoid the dvd library at work so I wouldn't be tempted to watch a movie.

It's the day before and I have to decide. So what do you think I should give up? What do you plan on sacrificing for Lent?

No comments: