Friday, January 09, 2009

Quitting Time

I have been debating for about a month quitting my part time job. I have had this job since May of 2007 and initially I only thought I would work for 6 months or so. But I really do love the job, the people I work with and the students and teachers I get to work with. So I need the help/opinion of my friends to help me decide. Listed, in no particular order, are the reasons to continue working and the reasons to quit.

- My hours were cut from 8-10 hours a week (about two nights a week) to 4-6 hours a week (one night a week)

- It's ONLY 4 hours and a few bucks more than what I would have if I did nothing for 4 hours

- We had layoffs in November and the demands of my full-time job have increased. That's 4 hours I could be at my main job (and no I don't get overtime at the full-time job)

- I could rebudget so that I wouldn't miss not having any additional income since a day was cut out of the schedule for me.

- I'm not hard pressed for the money 4 hours a week brings in after taxes.

- If the economy wasn't what it is, I wouldn't even debate quitting...but I know every penny counts.

- I could stick it out until May (the 2 year mark for me) and then quit because it will be summer and who wants to work extra during the summer.

- A person's time is priceless so the 4 hours a week I'm putting ain't worth what I'm getting paid when I could be doing something I want to do.

- I also teach and that is on top of the 4 hours in office. If I get picked up to teach more classes, at least 2, that would be the equivalent of working 4 hours a week for 50 weeks. So hope that I get renewed to teach then resign.

So you see my head is all over the place. So what do you think? If you were in my position what would you do?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First, I would pray about it and then I think I would quit the part-time gig and focus on the full time one...cause even in the midst of layoffs people get promoted.