Friday, January 30, 2009

Fantasy Football: Need or Want

I watched the Suze Orman webinar on Oprah.com and the topic of fantasy football came up. Is it a need or a want? Suze says it's a want. I say NO...it's a need.

Prior to my current job, I worked in sports. When I worked in sports I felt that participating in fantasy football was a requirement of the job. How could I cover football if I didn't understand the users bond/connection/interaction with the sport? All my sports writer friends would agree.

Personally I also felt that how I managed my fantasy football team was a demonstration of my knowledge of the sport and could be a reflection/determination of my skill level at doing my job. So at that point it wasn't just a game it was a training ground/point of approval for myself and to my coworkers.

Suze, people who work in sports or related to sports Fantasy Football is a need. So if we have to pay for a league it's an investment in what we do. I wasn't bold enough to write it off as a business expense but I possibly could have.

So for the guy on the show that said Fantasy Football was a need for him even though he doesn't work in sports or a sports related field I agree. Fantasy Football is a way of networking and connecting with others. I can't tell you how many connections I have been able to make by talking about my fantasy football team with someone else who also plays. Business deals are made on the golf course so why can't people advance their careers through their fantasy game play?

I hardly ever disagree with Suze but when it comes to Fantasy Football...she is wrong, it's a need. It can also be a want. But I don't see it as a or situation but an and situation.

Do you agree with me or do you agree with Suze? Is Fantasy Football a need or a want?

No comments: