Thursday, January 22, 2009

Work Life Balance Part 2

I blogged a few weeks ago about contemplating quitting my side hustle. And yesterday I blogged about Work/Life Balance.

Well I finally took a leap of faith and quit my side hustle. It just wasn't working when I was at my full-time job stressing about getting to my hustle on time and at my hustle thinking about all the things I needed to do for my full-time job. I just really felt like I was at a breaking point.

I do miss the side hustle but I don't regret quitting. I don't miss it because of the money but because my side hustle was a stress reliever. The work wasn't hard. I enjoyed what I did, the people I got to work with and the people I got to meet. I liked the assignments I got that required little to no thinking because they were simple administrative tasks. Photo copying might sound boring to you but the hum of the copier can be relaxing at the end of a long stressful day. Being asked to work and not really being asked to use much brain power was actually a relief.

I liked the juxtaposition of being a manager by day and an assistant by night. I felt like it kept me grounded to work on both the top (really the middle) and the bottom. People get so high in their careers they forget what it was like to be on the bottom. Hopefully I never will.

So thanks to everyone who offered their opinion and perspective. I'm really glad to have the time to focus on other things, whatever those other things might be.

No comments: