Monday, April 13, 2009

The End of Lent

For lent I gave up wine and I thought that would be easy. It wasn't as easy as I thought.

First, the devil is no joke. So the week before I gave up wine for lent EVERY SINGLE Fashion Week event I went too, I was given wine...bottles of it. So once lent started my refrigerator was fully stocked with wine. And I had to see it every single time I opened the fridge. The devil set me up y'all.

Second, I didn't realize how much food was cooked with wine. So I had to avoid any recipes that listed wine as an ingredient just so I wouldn't be accused of cheating.

Third, I've been having cravings for Sangria. Out of all the alcoholic beverages I could have, I craved Sangria and it happens to be made with wine. Meera we gotta split a pitcher SOON.

Fourth, wine is my sedative. It's about the only thing, or so I thought, that could get my head to shut up long enough for me to sleep. But during lent I found myself drinking a lot more tea and burning a candle that is supposed to help with sleeping and reading a book or magazine before going to bed. Those methods didn't always work as well as a glass of wine would have.

Firth, I think I just replaced wine with soda. Near the beginning of lent I went to Costco and got a 36 pack of Pepsi. Needless to say I reached for a soda instead of reaching for the wine when I went in to my fridge.

So lent is now over and I can't say that I will go back to drinking as much wine as I drank before. But after a long day or a long week sometimes you just want to come home, crack open a bottle of wine, kick you feet up and enjoy. Erin, you still got that bottle waiting for me :)

My girlfriend Elie found a "loophole." Lent is supposed to be 40 days BUT if you got to any calendar Lent this year runs for 47 days. So technically I was supposed to have 7 days off. I broke down and took one day...I gave in to the Sangria craving when I went to my girlfriend's birthday dinner at a Cuban restaurant. I know this may be a point of debate. ELIE - where's that link you showed me to prove we weren't cheating?

Did I or did I not cheat? What did you give up for lent and were you successful?

No comments: