Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Rental Advocacy

The last time my lease was up for renewal I fought the increase. They were trying to raise my rent $220. I wrote the most impressive letter possible and they only raised my rent $100.

I have shared this letter with others in my building but as far as I know none of them have used it. Sad, because I gave my letter to my boy Sam and he got the best news. NO RENTAL INCREASE! That is excellent news and this economy good tenants need to fight back. Why should we pay more when most of our apartment complexes aren't offering us more?

My lease isn't up until March 2010 but time flies and I have already started looking. I've also entered a few housing lotteries because you just never know. I got picked for one but the place was too small and I would have had to move in by June 1. I have an interview for another one in a couple of weeks. A good apartment is hard to find, especially in NYC. But in this economy owners/landlords should be willing to negotiate.

1 comment:

Candice Frederick said...

Congrats to you for standing up for yourself! Maybe I should do that too...I can't believe they're even increasing rents in this economy!