Thursday, April 09, 2009

Stress On My Body

Y'all know me and I'm SUPER Type A. As one person described if there was something higher than Type A, I would be it. I say all that to say is I thrive off of stress. Stressful situations just motivate me to work harder. Well stress is starting to take a major toll on my body.

First thing I noticed was the pain in my neck, shoulders and back. I go to a chiropractor regularly but it was only offering temporary relief.

Next was the loss of sleep. I already suffer from mind chatter which makes it hard for me to relax. But combine that with the physical pain and sleep, when I get it, is not restful.

But the thing that bothered me the most was the hair loss. I started to notice my hair thinning and breaking. My stylist was like what is wrong with you? Every time I get my hair done it's like there is less and less of it on my head. I looked at pictures of how my hair used to look and it made me want to cry. And that was the final straw.

So being Type A I can't let stress win. To combat the pain I took my doctor's advice and joined a gym, so I'm taking Yoga classes regularly. As a result of going to the gym I'm also sleeping better. To deal with the hair loss I think I'm going to get my hair cut and get my hair braided. It's almost time for summer and I prefer to have my hair braided in the summer. But I'm hoping my new techniques for stress relief will have an immediate affect on my body, my soul and most importantly, MY HAIR.

What do you do to combat stress?

No comments: