Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Cheese Keeps on Moving

At my job there seems to be a new announcement/change every week.

Last week in October we were warned by an email from Ann Moore that the layoff axe was going to drop. For the next two weeks we got memo's of senior people choosing to "retire." Two weeks before Thanksgiving the layoffs officially started. So the next week was all about transition people's assignments to other people and/or figuring out what tasks were no longer essential. The week of Thanksgiving was short and bitter sweet. It was the last days for those that were laid off. The week after Thanksgiving was hectic as we adjusted to new responsibilities and missing the people that were once there. In my case, I also got the curve ball that we were moving offices, again. We were being integrated in to the magazine so now the magazine and website are all on one floor.

So now my big adjustment is that my new office is a cave or at least that is what I have nicknamed it. I used to have an office with 2 big windows. Mind you I was always facing my computer but it was nice to be able to do a weather or time check every now and then. Now I have an inside office with no window and it's dark. We have these sensor lights and because I make such slight movements when I'm at my computer it ALWAYS shuts off on me. So just imagine sitting in a windowless office at your computer and suddenly the lights go out. My computer monitor thus serves as a flashlight.

It's no secret that I HATE my new office. I'm not claustrophobic but sitting in a cave for 8+ hours is depressing. On the brighter side of things, at least I still have a job. But I wish I could work from home more. A lot of natural light floods my office in my apt. Oh well, it is what it is. The cheese has moved so I'm moving with it.

No comments: