Monday, December 22, 2008

Holiday Gift Giving

I'm so thankful that I don't get caught up in holiday gift giving. I don't give presents, for the most part, at Christmas to my family because I give to them all year long. In this economy it's not worth it to me to put myself in to debt just for the fanfare of one day.

This year my niece wanted to come to New Jersey to visit during her winter break and my Mom really wanted to have her visit. So I told them both that the purchase of the plane ticket would be my mutual present to both.

But for the most part I don't stress about buying everyone presents. Christmas is only one day out of the year and I seriously give all year long. When someone asks for $20, buy me this, get me that, etc., etc. I just don't believe in stressing myself out for one day.

Now there are exceptions to every rule. I MIGHT buy my new great niece a present but then again she is only a few months old so she's not old enough to appreciate any gifts. I would rather just spend some quality time with my family eating, talking, laughing and watching movies. That's a happy holiday to me. No one has to spend a lot of money or go broke or stress out or feel guilty about not being able to buy someone else a present.

How are you handling holiday gift giving this year? Is the current economic state making you approach the holiday differently?

No comments: